Ana B. D. schrieb am Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:14:23AM +0100:

> I have too cyrus-imap 2.0.16 and cyrus-sasl 1.5.27 and I have the same
> problem.
> Does somebody know the solution?
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I've searched forever int he archives and on the web for this, and can't
> > find a clue that helps:
> >
> > I just installed Cyrus-imap 2.0.16 (and cyrus-sasl 1.5.27, both with the
> > berkeley db 3.1) on my redhat 6.1 server, and I am pretty positive I
> > followed the HOWTO to the letter, but now when I try to telnet in, it just
> > hangs after the escape character prompt. Like so:
> >
> > $ telnet localhost imap
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.

This can happen because of numerous reasons.  Look, cyrus' master process
acts a bit like superdaemons as inetd/xinetd are.  It sits on the configured
ports (see /etc/cyrus.conf for them) and upon incoming connection it starts
up the configured processes like lmtpd, imapd etc. and hands the connection
over to them.

So the problem you face here is: master cannot start up the process at port
"imap".  Look up /etc/cyrus.conf which process that is (presumably
"<somepath>/imapd").  Does this file exist?  Can it be invoked with *exactly*
the command line you specified in /etc/cyrus.conf?  What does your log files
show?  It is most common - I had it often myself - that there are hickups in
imapd's config file.

Regards,

Birger