Use SASL with ldap authentication. Then set up alumni without the posix
objectclass (just account w/ uid and userpassword I think) and the other
users with full posix capabilities. If you add the sambaobjectclass as
well, and configure a samba-ldap server to use the same server, you got
a single sighon solution.

Tarjei