Nope it's not the init script it's the binary... if I call it using:

# /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam&

which gives that error.

My configure/make sequence for cyrus-sasl-2.1.2:
# ./configure \
--disable-anon \
--enable-plain \
--disable-krb4 \
--with-saslauthd \
--with-pam
# make
# make install
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/sasl2 /usr/lib/sasl2
# /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a -pam&
saslauthd: /var/state/saslauthd: No such file or directory
# mkdir /var/state/saslauthd
# /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam&
# ll /var/state/saslauthd
srwxrwxrwx      1 root     root         0       May  7 00:06 mux=
-rw-------  1 root     root         0     May  7 00:06 mux.accept
-rw-------  1 root     root         0     May  7 00:06 mux.pid
#

I've realized that it's the --with-saslauthd option that puts this stuff in
there and it's not a problem.

Sorry to bother you all.

Jeff