Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 00:03:06 -0500
   From: Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   At 04:18 PM 5/13/2002 -0400, Lawrence Greenfield wrote:
   >Does 'master' syslog any messages indicating that something has
   >crashed?  Look for something like:
   >
   >May 13 15:33:18 mail1.andrew.cmu.edu master[11016]: [ID 970914
   >local6.error] process 10119 exited, signaled to death by 11
   >
   >and then try to figure out what process 10119 was doing at the time
   >(if anything).
   >
   >Larry

   No, master does not appear to ever die. I also did a scan of the mail log
   just in case I was wrong, but found nothing with 'death'.

This isn't the master dying, this is the master reporting that some
child process died.  If this isn't happening, I'd start suspecting
that your operating system is dropping messages transmitted along the
pipe() from service to master.

Larry