I'm not sure how the httpd processes are being tied up, but "tied up"
imapds that are otherwise idle don't cost you anything except some swap
and a process table entry.  They're basicly free.

Unless the imap connection has a mailbox open. That ties up a potentially very large memory resource (depending on the size of the mailbox) on the server.

I have to say I don't know for certain whether that's true for the cyrus imapd, but for other imapds I've used, that has been the case. Someone know for sure?

Ted Fines