Hi list.
It would be very helpful if I could choose _only_ one from these options. You see, with current code for virtual domains, I faced the following frustrating situation.

Provided that I have set up two domains foo.com and bar.com in my dns server and that I have given 2 IP addresses to my Cyrus.

Then a user may connect to the server foo.com and login with the username [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well, this is a pretty uncomfortable situtation, since users may login to different domains from the ones they got connected, which seems a little bit weird to me.

My opinion is that cyrus should provide an option on how to find out the domain. Also, I understand that current situation is helpful for some admins. For this reason I would suggest having 4 options, which would be something like : none, byuserid, byipaddress, both.

I think this would be a fair sollution for everyone.

Christos

Ken Murchison wrote:

This has to do with the fact that the virtdomains code handles domains by login id and ip address simultaneously. If you don't have a fully qualified user id, the code will do a reverse lookup on the ip address of the local NIC and add that domain. The only way to prevent the appending of the domain is by setting a default domain.

I could probably fix this by changing the code to only do virtdomains by one mechanism at a time, NOT both. Since the 2.2 code recently added the ability to have enumerated config options, I could change the virtdomains option to be a tri-state variable, something like [ off, byuserid, byipaddress ]. As long as nobody is depending on the current behavior, I have no problem changing this. Of course, if people do need the current bevavior, I could add a fourth state to handle this.

I'd like to get some feedback from those of you that have been using the virtdomains code before I go and make any changes.

Happy Holidays,
Ken

-- Christos Soulios (soulbros_at_noc.uoa.gr)

Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
No is the answer.