Joe Thomas wrote:

        Thanks so Joe Hrbek [EMAIL PROTECTED] I've resolved the issue.
To follow up, here was my 'lm' and 'lam':

localhost> lm
INBOX.Drafts (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
INBOX.Sent (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
INBOX.Trash (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
user/jpt (\HasChildren)
user/jpt/Drafts (\HasNoChildren)
user/jpt/Sent (\HasNoChildren)
user/jpt/Trash (\HasNoChildren)
user/s.schahn (\HasChildren)
user/s.schahn/Trash (\HasNoChildren)
user/s.schahn/test (\HasNoChildren)

Wait an minute. Assuming you authenticated to the server as an admin, you have two sets of user INBOXes (jpt and s.schahm) and 3 shared folders INBOX.*.

localhost> lam *
user/jpt:
  jpt lrswipcda
user/jpt/Drafts:
  jpt lrswipcda
user/jpt/Sent:
  jpt lrswipcda
user/jpt/Trash:
  jpt lrswipcda
user/s.schahn:
  s.schahn lrswipcda
user/s.schahn/Trash:
  s.schahn lrswipcda
user/s.schahn/test:
  s.schahn lrswipcda
localhost> lam INBOX*
localhost> lam INBOX.Drafts
anyone lrswipcda
localhost> lam INBOX.Sent
anyone lrswipcda
localhost> lam INBOX.Trash
anyone lrswipcda

The above ACLs are correct, assuming that you have defaultacl set to lrswipcda

The original problem is that the 'INBOX.*' for everyone was sitting at the
top level. Joe Hrbek inquired about the ACL and observed that user cyrus
needed permissions to the user's mailbox.

I'm confused, the cyrus admin does *not* need access to user mailboxes for delivery to take place (at least for the INBOX). What exactly as you trying to do.

Mail is now correctly stored in
the individual mailboxes as opposed to attempting to store everyone's
incoming/trash/drafts/sent mail in a shared top level.

BTW: I have been using cyradm to create the mailboxes. I will now look into
why cyrus isn't given permission when the toplevel user mailbox is created.

What toplevel user INBOX? As I said above, the INBOX.* mailboxes don't belong to anybody, they are shared and get defaultacl when they are created. The user/<userid> mailboxes are the actual INBOXes and have the owner getting all rights by default.

Thanks Joe!!!