Rob,
I reverted back again, I need to keep the box up for some folks to test a new web interface for a few days, they are already shouting at me. :) I know for a fact there were no stale imapd's around, I checked that out when this happened, and completely removed the old /usr/cyrus/bin folder before testing. I will see if I can get an strace for you ASAP, anyone else see this issue?

Thanks.
AJ