On Jun 24, 2004, at 2:01 AM, Aristotelis wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

It is essential to me to create the mailboxes for which incoming
messages are intended when they don't exist. To this end, I am writing
a patch.

I haven't seen the patch yet. But I want to get some more info first. Correct me if I'm wrong. You want to write a patch that creates ANY folder where a mails tries to be delivered??

This is correct.

 For example if I want to deliver the email to :
user.arisg.koko
 and this folder doesn't exist then automatically (without further
checking) the folder should be created??

This is also correct.

 This IMHO is a really bad idea. People can easily create
problems in this type of setup. I could just start emailing

user.arisg.koko1
user.arisg.koko2
user.arisg.koko3
user.arisg.koko4
user.arisg.koko5

 And all this dummy folders will be created.
(I can also think for some other problems that might occur
with this setup)

Rob Siemborski made this point on this list back in May. I still misunderstand, or don't see the danger. It is impossible for _people_ to create problems because, in general, I think they lack the authority to create mailboxes. Those authenticated users with authority to create certain mailboxes could do so using IMAP, so I don't understand why enabling this on delivery represents an increased danger. Please correct me if I'm way out to lunch.

 With the UoA autocreate patch when a message is delivered to
a user who has no inbox then a defined set of subfolders
is created.

Right. Not what I'm after.

If the message goes to one of these folders then
it can be delieved, otherwise it goes to the INBOX. (check
the options of the patch)

 With the autosieve patch you can have an option to create
all the mailboxes that should be created with the sieve
script.

Just so I understand, this patch enables sieve scripts to create arbitrary mailboxes? Sorry, I don't use sieve so understand it only a little.

   Best regards,
    Aristotelis

Thank your very much for your thoughtful feedback! Continued help much appreciated!

Jack

---