On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:

Patrick Radtke wrote:

Maybe check the log on your replica. Possibly something is going wrong with sync_server (though it seems unlikely since sync_client -u works)

Yes. Something is wrong with sync_server.

Feb 3 09:10:28 backup syncserver[1899]: Fatal error: Virtual memory exhausted

It hangs during replication of my mailbox which is about 600 Mb...

Is it possible to get more verbose debug from sync_server?

I saw this problem quite some time ago.
What Operating system are you running? How much memory do you have?

You may want to file a bug report (if there isn't one already). When we saw the problem during the summer, Ken was unable to duplicate the situtation which made it hard to test possible solutions. We weren't sure if it was something wrong with our system or with sync_server.

Anyhow, as a work around we did two different things.

1. Replicate the user a bunch of times. It will fail each time, but should get further along until it succeeds.

2. If sync_server fails, I think it leaves some files around that it may or may not clean up. On the replica, shut down cyrus and in the directory that has your mail (e.g. /var/spool/imap) there should be a folder called .sync. I found removing this sometimes helped.

3. If replication is stuck on a specific mailbox, then use cyradm to create the mailbox on the replica, then scp the users files over, run reconstruct. Then run sync_client and it should clean up any discrepancies.

The good news is that the problem only seems to occur for the inital copying of data. Staying in sync afterwards never seeems to trigger the bug.

 -Patrick