On 2/3/06, Ken Murchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How does ZFS compare to QFS, which had/has problems from what I understand.

I know little about QFS, other than hearing about some of its
problems. However, I think it's safe to say that they are entirely
different. Right now if you need to have multiple writers on a SAN,
you'd have to use QFS. I'm hoping that eventually this will change to
also include ZFS, but have no idea when that might be.

Bob Netherton has his ZFS presentation on his blog:

http://blogs.sun.com/bobn

In this ZFS presentation there's a picture of a NFS module sitting
above the DMU. What that means is that ZFS will support NFS directly
as part of the filesystem API. The example he gave is the potential of
running a db like Oracle on such a NFS shared filesystem. I was going
to ask if this meant such a share might eventually support local
filesystem semantics like memory mapped files, but alas I had a
meeting to run to. That might be a stretch anyway.

Here are a few other links that I have handy...

http://uadmin.blogspot.com/2005/11/zones-on-ufs-vs-zfs.html

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/demos/selfheal/