Well, how else do you explain that when I remove Message-ID from message-required-mail-headers and send my email, then the Message-ID is given by the value of message-user-fqdn or when nil, by system-name?

As I already said: My guess was that your sendmail program adds a message-id.

But then why does such Message-ID always reflect the value of message-user-fqdn ? If it really were sendmail adding it and not Message, then why would sendmail set the value of the Message-ID header according to the value of the variable message-user-fqdn? I think that sendmail doesn't even know about the message-user-fqdn variable.

You can set `message-generate-headers-first' to t and see what headers Message produces when you start editing a message.

Good suggestion: I just tried. Now message-generate-headers-first is true, and Message-ID doesn't appear in the message-required-mail-headers. Result: my emails all have Message-ID header, and it always reflects the value of message-user-fqdn!

The mystery persists.