I do the same: starting unplugged.  This works well as I use nnml to
store my emails and have all nttp groups under control of the agent.

To avoid forgetting about queued emails, I have my queue group at level
1 and it's the first group in the Group buffer view.

To manually send queued emails, it's "J S" and you don't have to be in
the queue group for this: it works from the Group buffer.  But, for me,
when I toggle to plugged status, all of my queued emails are sent.  If
you wish to remain unplugged, J S will send them regardless.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.2