We have an email address for each student in grades 9-12 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), but they
don't use it.  The client is Novell GroupWise, since we have Novell servers.  Some
teachers use it, though.  We do allow students to use hotmail, yahoomail, etc.  It is
very hard to block all of the possible email providers.  We rely on supervision and
what comes out of the printers regarding appropriate use. I have blocked msn
messenger, yahoo messenger, and aol messenger though.  They do a fine job of bringing
an older, slower computer to its knees.

PS - I taught with Sam Tvrdik at LuVerne HS 1974-1980.

Brian Ney, Tech Coordinator/HS Principal
North Kossuth CSD
Swea City, IA

>>> "Vicki Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/09/03 02:05PM >>>
Our school district is trying to decide which way is the best way to go as far as
email for students.  I have heard that some schools have no email at all for the
students.  How does this work.  We have talked about email for 8-12 graders, and no
hotmail,etc.  My high school students would rather have hotmail, etc instead of the
school email.
Give me some input as to what your school district does.
Thanks

Vicki Johnson
Technology Coordinator
Prairie Valley High School