Heard that you had a discussion at the last Tech Coor meeting about changes
in Project Easier and the added data elements in your Student Information
System.  Sorry I missed it.

I've been part of that discussion for about a year, and for my money these
are good changes.  What they're trying to move to is a system where you can
keep all data required for all state and federal reports.  Currently, most
SISs do not keep all info required for the full range of required
reporting.  The added data elements will include info for:
-  the state CAR
- state and federal reports for Homeless and 504 that are coming
- federal reports for Perkins
and many others.

It is going to require each vendor to add the data elements if they want to
be certified by the state.  But you can tell they're trying to walk a line
between giving each District maximum local authority and still guaranteeing
in the future that we'll all be able to report electronically to the
state--and maybe the Feds in the future.  Who knows.

Personally I like the idea of a single exported report for each of the
rapidly multiplying reports.  I want all the data in one place.  Saves me
from having to manage multiple systems of info.  Guaranteeing accuracy and
timeliness is easier the fewer systems to work across.

I have a copy of the Data Elements Dictionary if you want to see it.  I
can't guarantee it's the final copy--some things were still being worked
out.  But it's mostly complete.

Have a great Christmas!

C.

Charlton H. Pendry
Director of Technology and Library Media Services
Fort Dodge Community Schools
104 S. 17th St.
Fort Dodge, IA  50501
Voice:  515-574-5668
FAX:   515-574-5324
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Weekley Rule for Writeres  (Rejected by Strunk and White's "The Elemunts of
Stile")
Rule #21. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary.  Parenthetical words
however should be enclosed in commas.
This E-mail was scanned for viruses by servers at the
Fort Dodge Community School District