Brian Ney wrote:

We're using PageMaker 6.5 with Josten's Year Tech on PCs to create our
yearbook.  450mhz with Win98SE.

(No cracks allowed about 'if this was on a Mac...'  I'm a Mac die-hard in a
PC school.)

Anyhow, we just got a new Sony VAIO with XP Pro and 1 GB of RAM for the
yearbook class.  We loaded PageMaker and Year Tech, and it loads pages
EXTREMELY slowly.  Pages created on the Win98 machines will load quickly and
accurately on those machines, but in addition to being VERY slow will only
load gray boxes rather than the actual digital pictures on the XP machine.
My yearbook teacher is ready to trade her new VAIO for an old machine with
Win98 just to have a machine that works.

The machine works great with other software.  I tried adobe.com today to try
for some on-line tech support, but the web site won't load at all in my
office in Bancroft.

HELP!! The yearbook teacher is my wife, and I need to get this fixed!  If
the answer is to upgrade to a newer version of PageMaker, that is OK, as
long as it is compatible with the older machines.

Brian Ney
N. Kossuth

Drill down file--preferences
There is an option that allows you to bring up your graphics in three modes, grayed, standard, and high resolution. I'd imagine it's in the first one. InDesign is the next in the series for Pagemaker, doubt that it would work with 98 unless you have tons of memory.

Murray Gafkjen
CCE