Under help---about Pagemaker, it will give you the version number. Never really noticed a difference when I've updated them. Pictures come up gray in both ...File\Place and when you use the blue Xspot box and picture placer? This is sound rather strange. Has Josten's tech offered any clues, when I've used them, they have been quite helpful..
Somewhere on the Adobe site I remember reading they do not support 6.5 on xp and encouraged users to upgrade.
About Power users and XP, I've assigned them to particular machines and made them Power Users of that machine so that their rights don't travel throughout the building. It's not recommended to give common users such rights, but to make the program work, I don't have a choice unless I upgrade. These machines I have the most problems with spy ware because of their elevated rights.
We've taken on a new challenge with the yearbook this year. The AEA will be printing it and Houchen Press will be covering it. It will be a lot cheaper, but no support for such questions.
I hope things work out.

Murray Gafkjen
CCE