Toy Waterman from AEA 11 sent out this list of sites addressing keyboarding at
the elementary level.  I know that this will be an issue as you consider NCLB's
"all 8th graders being technologically literate by the 8th grade." - so I
thought these sites might help with your discussion.

I will add my own bias of teaching keyboarding at the third and fourth grade,
but that is certainly a district decision.

I hope this helps,
Nancy

Keyboarding Skills: When Should They Be Taught?
http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr076.shtml

General Keyboarding Recommendations
http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/elemkey/recommendation.html

Elementary Keyboarding Research
Also, on the left-hand side of the web page are links to curriculum objectives
for elementary grade levels.
http://www.usoe.k12.ut.us/ate/keyboarding/research/elementary.htm

When and How Should Keyboarding be Taught in Elementary School?
http://ci.coe.uni.edu/facstaff/zeitz/web/general/WhenHowKeyboardingSmith.pdf
"Introducing Early Keyboarding Skills: Who, What, Where, and How?," Business
Education Forum , October 1996. This article discusses introducing keyboarding
at an early age.

--
Nancy Movall
Instructional Technology Consultant for School Improvement