$50 for a keyboard? I can't get the board to approve surge suppressors,
they'd never go for that.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Tim Buenz
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:48 AM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: Re: [info-tech] Fwd:Keyboarding

There are a variety of kid's keyboards on the market to consider, here's
one:

http://www.datadesktech.com/education_base.html
--
Tim Buenz
Director of Technology

On Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:35 AM, Kurt McKenney
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:*
>{behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:*
>{behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape
>{behavior:url(#default#VML);}
>
>Ok, a couple of comments if I may70;
>
>The biggest problem kids in the second or third grade would
>likely have learning typing is a matter of scale. Keyboards are
>built for adult hands. People might want to consider that when
>they talk about what age keyboarding should be taught at.
>Perhaps phonics and basic math skills would be a better thing to teach at
that age.

>Lowering standards has never produced better results; it57;s
>just given us more reasons to lower standards.
>
>Telling me that a kid can only write at 10 words per minute is
>not a problem with keyboarding, it57;s a problem with
>creativity. Teach a little more creativity, and they should be
>able to write faster. The reason for teaching a kid to type at
>25 wpm or more is that any job that requires a typing test is
>going to require that minimum, giving a kid an A if they can
>type 10 words a minute is a disservice to the kid.
>
>As stated, the dvorak keyboard would make typing faster. It is
>the most efficient layout and the qwerty keyboard was designed
>actually to slow typing down so the mechanical arms would not
>lock together. However, yes, it is not practical to convert all
>keyboards to the dvorak style, but what is practical and
>possible is implementing ergonomic keyboards so we can keep
>these kids from getting carpal tunnel syndrome before they
>graduate. This may become a legal issue before long as we seem
>to be moving the recommended curriculum over to a computer
>based format which will require more and more time spent typing.

---
[This E-mail Scanned For Viruses By Declude Virus Scanner]
[This E-mail Scanned For Spam By Declude JunkMail]

[This E-mail scanned for viruses by the schaller-crest.k12.ia.us server.]

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by the schaller-crest.k12.ia.us server.]