The Sonicwall at one time had an option to block "Outside Proxy" with a check
box.  I don't know if that is still in place but it may be worth a try.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Kerns
  To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
  Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 8:59 AM
  Subject: Re: [info-tech] Firewall

  Unfortunately, I do not see a way to avoid the subscription based services
here.  Our filter list has grown from 250 MB 2 years ago to almost 750 MB this
year, and still growing.  We do not use all of the filters, but it just shows
how much garbage has been added to the net in the last couple of years.  These
remote proxies have been a real pain.  Even if you block the popular ones like
the ones you mentioned, myspaceproxy1.com, etc., we have had at least one
student figure out how to set up a remote proxy on his home computer.  Try as
we may, they will find ways around it....

  Happy holidays!!

  Jim Kerns
  Spencer Community Schools
  23 East 7th St
  P.O. Box 200
  Spencer, Iowa 51301
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  712.262.0339
  FAX 712.262.1116

  >>> "Murray Gafkjen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/20/2006 11:27 AM >>>

  I've been updating the firewall of late, adding a few more urls, and perhaps
in futile attempts.

  Take a look at atunnel.com.

  Hopefully your filters block this one without any effort on your part, but
there seems to be a entire industry of webpages designed to punch holes through
most filters. I also did a search and found out that a-ztunnel.com (all 26 of
them created holes to use, as well as 1-9tunnel.com). Did a search on similar
site as atunnel.com and found another 50 or so listed, some were blocked by the
filter, others needed to be added manually... I see a vision of the little
Dutch boy not knowing which hole to plug.. And I'm not even dutch.

  Hopefully your appliance/software is a little smarter than mine.

  All for now,

  Murray Gafkjen

  Clay Central Everly