We use it much the same as South Hamilton does.  We have used it for years,
switched to web a few years ago and host it ourselves.

Manson Northwest Webster-Home of the Cougars!
Brad Kruse          ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
Tech. Coord.         `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
1601 15th St.        (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
Manson, IA 50563    _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
712-469-3919       (li),'  ((!.-'
Fax 712-469-3131

>>> Jackie Fonley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/14/2008 1:35 PM >>>
I received some information regarding Accelerated Reader and the
Enterprise version recently.  I noticed it's web based, with access
to ALL quizzes available (no more $3/quiz), along with vocabulary and
math skill building available as well (and to all lower levels).
Currently, our 4-5 building uses it, as well as our 6-8.  The 4-5 is
set up using a network based approach, the 6-8 is stand alone on a
few extra ("older") computers set up in language art rooms.  This was
all set up before me time, and I am now interested in either
combining the databases, going web based, or other options available
to me I don't know about.

Unless we merge buildings, I was told I cannot combine the
databases.  (And it appears as if the tests are specifically "coded"
for each building.)   The 6-8 teachers are fearful of a web based
application because they want kids to only use it on the computers in
their room.  Both use it as a part of their reading curriculum (from
what I understand).  We also purchased SuccessMaker several years ago
to use with our non proficient and special education populations to
build on reading, vocabulary and math skills.  This is a network set
up, but needs the OS 9 to boot up--which they are no longer
supporting--in which case we will need to upgrade as we replace
computers with newer ones.

I'm just curious as to what others are using in regard to Accelerated
Reader, and any advantages/disadvantages to any of the options
mentioned above.  If the Enterprise has Math, Vocabulary, Reading
software, and is part of the AR already being used . . .  It seems
silly to support multiple vendor based programs that do the same
thing in essence (maybe).  Esp. is stuff is web based.  Also, is
anyone using the Scholastic Read180 software instead?  I know their
doing their demo at the end of the month, but again, just looking for
feedback.
Thanks in advance for any info, and stay safe and warm!
-Jackie