I always recommend purchasing from the AV Coop.  Twice a year we "Shoot-Out"
over 50 projectors so each projector has been looked at before it is put on the
Coop catalog.

IMHO:
Currently DLP projectors have a significant lifetime savings vs LCD projectors
as DLP has no filters to clean.  LCD projectors recommend filter cleaning
between 100-500 hours of use.  This last shoot-out we are seeing a trend that
LCD projectors are going to a one filter cleaning between bulb changes, and I
expect that in the next year or two LCD projectors will only require a filter
clean/change at the time of bulb replacement.

If you look at projectors side by side there is a visual difference between LCD
and DLP.  If you looked at each one separately I don't think I would be able to
tell the difference.  In previous years DLP a solid yellow block looked brown,
but a year ago most DLP projectors moved to "True Color" that corrected that
issue.

If price was not an issue my recommendation for the last year is the Hitachi
Ultra Close Focus projector.  The projector is mounted 1-2 feet from the
screen.  The big benefit is that the teacher does not have to look into the
projector while working at the screen.