I believe that the APC Symmetra line does on-line double-conversion.
This is the route that we are moving in the future due, not only to the
on-line functionality, but also because of the module-based layout (add
more kVA later), redundancy and hot-swappable batteries.

From: Scott Fosseen [Prairie Lakes AEA] [mailto:sfoss...@aea8.k12.ia.us]

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 2:29 PM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: Re: [info-tech] called up to the MAJORS

I am moving to recommending something other than APC for UPS units.  The
APC units are "Standby" (equipment runs on line power and quickly
switches to inverter when needed) UPS.  Not that I have had any real
issues with them I like the Idea of "On-Line" UPS better where the UPS
inverter is always supplying power to the equipment.  They are also a
little happier when connected to a back-up generator than Standby UPS
units.  CyberPower "Online Double Conversion" would be my
recommendation.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/ups-selector.html

The software included allows for a single machine to connect via USB,
then it will chain to any number of servers via software.  So now if you
have several servers on a single UPS all the servers can shut down
gracefully in the event of a UPS low battery.

I have a couple installed and have been very happy with them.