I've investigated the specs, and put some thought into this, and I've
come to certain conclusions.

How many of you remember when the original NES came out? It was designed
and intended to be the first practical home computer. Sure, looking at
it now you may be thinking, WTF? No networking, no keyboard (virtual or
otherwise), no printer, 8 bit graphics, no word-processing, basically
nothing for which we would use a computer for now. And yet strangely, in
1985, that was all ok. We wrote letters by hand. We did double entry
bookkeeping, and the internet was something the military and a few
computer nerds at colleges played with.

Now we "can" do all kinds of things with computers. We can control our
homes, we can remote control ROV's, we can design mega-scrapers, we can
produce blockbuster movies. But how many people actually do these
things?

This is the computer Grandma has been waiting for.

I don't want one. I really don't. But, I think Apple may have figured
something out about the way most people use computers. They are not
looking for multitasking, they don't want to figure out the pros and
cons between one office suite and another. They are not running endless
searches based on a batch file appending to a text output. They want to
do email, look at cute kittens, and check the weather. Maybe they want
to look at pictures of the kids and of their vacation, but maybe not.

I don't think this will make a good one to one system. We demand too
much of our computers, too many oddball programs that are not going to
make it through the various official apple approved outlets, and
carrying around a laptop and an Ipad, on a personal level is not worth
it to me. Carrying around a laptop is a major PITA, I mostly do not do
it.

But I do think the Ipad, assuming it survives the copyright wars, will
be a system to take note of. I will predict the next generation will be
a more full featured system though.