Sorry for the delay in my post.

I do think in concept the iPad is a potential "Tool" that could be used in a
1-to-1.  Would it replace a 1-to-1 Laptop project?  If you are going to be
having students doing things like video editing I don't see it.

But thinking "Outside the box" in concept I see that it could be a lower cost
alternative to a laptop project.

Used in conjunction to Moodle, or similar web based solution the "Pad" could be
used to work in the class electronically.  The pad could be used in a Moodle
course to view/review content, take quiz/tests, and participate in Chat/Forums.
 This would become more of a pen/paper replacement than a "Computer" for the
class.

With electronic rights to Textbooks the students would only have to take home 1
device weighing less than 2 pounds instead of a backpack full of textbooks.

But it does not have.....,  Is it that big of a deal, Just don't think of it as
a "Computer" or "Laptop", but a whole new class of device.

As a Palm Owner since the original units were released I saw it as a great
technology.  A device to supplement the computer, allowing me to take the
computer data I use the most with me on a small handheld.  It was never
designed to "Replace" the computer, and I think that was the secret to its
success.  Although the Palm is on the verge of extinction I still see the
concept as a good one.  The "Pad" type of device I see as a similar technology.
 Not a computer replacement, but a supplement.  With technology moving to "The
Cloud" I guess I don't see a big deal with the lack of USB/SD/Firewire or other
jacks, plugs, or holes in the device.  I would think with no moving parts,
maintenance should be minimal compared to a laptop.   The cost also would/could
allow you to purchase 2-3 "Pads" to one Laptop.

Of course the bad news is that a district would probably still have to maintain
traditional computers for higher end processing such as Video/Photo editing,
CAD, and such.

I guess what I am saying is don't look at this as a traditional computer, but
as a new different kind of tool, then think about the problems it could solve.