Jeremy--

I am dealing with the same type of issues here. Admin is quick to request I
open up the firewall
door to these things, and I've accommodated them (although not Facebook yet)
but I worry and fret
about the ramifications to the students, the staff, and the district. So many
of the requests for
collaborative web sites are driven by individual teachers, and it seems like
there should be a
means of evaluating what we'll allow and what we won't, rather than just
letting any teacher make
any request.

1. We have Internet access at all grade levels in our district, but all access
requires logging in,
with the exception of one teeny-tiny SpEd laptop that I just put out there, but
that's another
story.

2. The students in grades K - 4 have simple class logins that are alike for
each homeroom. There's
a home directory for each of those class groups and some classes use them more
than others.
Starting in 5th grade, students get their own login and their own home folder.

3. I share your concerns about wasted time. I'm always blown away when I do
take the time to look
at email logs and Internet usage logs to see how much paid time is spent in
what are probably
personal pursuits. On the other hand, I think that's an administrative issue to
solve, and I have
begun to err on the side of allowing access to more and more Web 2.0 tools with
the stern
admonition to staff that they are responsible for what their students post. I
was berated once for
scaring the staff, but I stand by what I think is the huge responsibility we
take on as educators
when we allow our students to post anything publically. If nothing else, it
could be embarrassing
to the district, and we need to be constantly vigilant.

My feeling is that we should spend more time formulating policy before we lean
towards fewer access
limitations  to the Internet. However, there are more than a few who tend to
think I'm just getting
too old to understand. "Come on," I want to say, I've been using Facebook as a
way to stay in
contact with family and friends for a long time! Looks can be deceiving. And by
the way, when was
the last time you blogged?" :o)

I'm VERY interested in this discussion. What's everyone else doing?

Sarah

Sarah M. Freking, District Technology Director
Storm Lake Community School District
Storm Lake, IA 50588
Phone: 712-732-8100 Fax: 712-732-8101

The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein