Not quite cable, but here is a commercial solution

http://www.snapstream.com/enterprise/markets/educationK-12.asp
 Worlds Largest DVR.

If you want to try to "Roll your own"  Myth TV is an option that looks like it
would work, but I have not had time to really dig deep into it.
http://www.mythtv.org/

The basics:  You can have one or more "Servers" or "Myth Backend" with video
capture cards to record shows.  Each server can hold one or more capture cards
as well.  The server is a Linux box, but there are several distributions that
allow for a simple guided setup.  I also believe there is a "Myth Frontend"
that is a windows application, and would expect there is a Mac frontend as
well.

So it is not really Cable TV.  The big drawback is that watching "Live"
programming you will be limited to the number of unique channels as you have
capture cards.  I believe you could have several frontend computers watching
the same channel, but if you only have one capture card front end options would
be to watch a recorded show, or the channel the capture card is set to.

I would be willing to spend some time at a district this summer if you want to
setup a Myth TV solution.  Let me know.

Thanks.