(sorry, got long with quotes)

Are we now saying that we will address certain copyright issues?

Well it's not our job to delve into the legality, ....

When I say "copyright issues" I'm not referring to legality. I'm not even thinking about licensing. It's just the only way I know how to describe it when people use images when they don't own them. I'll try to remember to say "ownership issues".

Moderation is firstly a measure to improve the quality of our community
content. Secondary is the removal of legal issues when identified by
actual lawyers and we can take action for them.

When I first was learning about the internet (just before y2k) it was common to see websites prominently posting warnings, and further explaining that the website owner can be held responsible (if users posts anything from another site, without giving credits, whether text or image). Sometimes it was threatened to remove any members who did so.

So that's where I'm coming from. But now, it seems seems the climate has changed. There seems to be a different perspective (and apparently some new regulations too).

It's actually a lot of work to do proper tracking. Every one of the
previous entries was not just a search on tiny-eye, but also google
image searches, searching for authors by email or username, looking for
patterns.

Are you suggesting we could work up some kind of search routine, for when we suspect an image has ownership issues (see my clues below)? If TinEye reports, let's say 6 identical stock images, and there's no connection in user names, why isn't that enough?

I don't think I can see logins, or emails either. Certainly not IPs. Unless I just haven't found them yet. I've never found a member list or anything like that. If I need to find a member, I can only do it if I know their name (type it into the url).

I tend to trust user content first, but there are signs that content is
poor quality such as users with only one entry, who have only logged in
once and that have posted jpeg images etc etc.

Do you mean that you trust user content first, over other kind of content? If so, what other kind of content is there? Or do you mean that you start out trusting the user, and then you need to see clues before you start to lose the trust?

These are the clues I had for the images I used for examples (which apparently all are turned out to be fishy).
-- They could be made with Inkscape, but probably only by an advanced user.
-- It's a JPG. (*maybe* PNG)
-- There is just enough blurriness that I wonder why they used blurring at all (and I start to wonder if the blurriness is from being a raster format and saved a few times). -- There are no signs of pride in the work or connection or ownership as a community member. (no description or external link) -- Or conversely, the description is extended, and has nothing to do with Inkscape, open source, vector graphics, nothing remotely related. Or the external link is completely unrelated.
-- The user either uploaded only one image, or they have a few sketchy ones.

After this discussion, I think I will start looking at the licenses more.

How should we handle these members? Just like with the random, unrelated photos (which is delete the image, member stays)? Or is there some point where the member should be removed?

Here's a current example: https://inkscape.org/en/~techie001 The hidden one is an uploaded link (no image) to an entirely unrelated site (I think music download site). The Lamborghini one echoes several stock images, but I can't investigate (whether it might be "fan art" made with Inkscape) because it's a JPG. Originally it had an external link to a music download site. The green one got no results in TinEye, but had an external link to a game and music download site.

I've curated out the external links. But couldn't this be considered a "repeat offender"? I honestly can't think of any argument, for keep or remove, which outweighs the other. I guess in this case, we curate what we can curate, and moderate what we can, and after that, rely on the space limits? (Unless they start reg-ing new accounts, which I have no way of tracking.)

Thanks again,
brynn

-----Original Message----- From: Martin Owens