Thanks Patrick, Greg,

Unless anyone else objects, I will change the text towards using https instead.

Can anyone give me editing rights? My username is "dvlierop"

Best regards,

Diederik

On 04/06/2019 05:44 AM, Greg Bulmash wrote:
List lurker decloaking...

I'll also agree the SSH key creation and installation process is friction that may prevent a less experienced developer from dipping their toe in the water.

I've submitted a pull request to the GitLab website repo (found a typo way back when) and don't have a key on my gitlab account. I didn't even clone the repo locally. I just used their website tools to fork the repo at the account level, make my edit, and commit it.

I also went through their settings options for a repo and didn't see anything that let the repo owner require that level of security for commits. So it seems that SSH is more of a good suggestion than a requirement.

Perhaps recommend HTTPS with a link to a tutorial on using SSH keys as a "pro tip" or "level up" side note?

recloaking...

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 2:28 PM Patrick Storz <eduard.bra...@gmx.de> wrote:
Am 05.04.2019 um 22:36 schrieb Diederik van Lierop:
> Hello everyone,
>
> On https://inkscape.org/develop/getting-started/, it is stated that
>
>   "To commit source code, you will additionally need to set up SSH
> keys for your account".
>
> When cloning using "g...@gitlab.com:inkscape/inkscape.git" however, SSH
> will be used. So setting up SSH first is required also for cloning,
> not only when committing. At least that is what I just ran into,
> please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> We have two options:
> 1) Tell our users to always setup SSH keys... basically asking them to
> jump through an additional hoop, which might scare inexperienced users
> 2) Tell the user to use clone using
> "https://github.com/inkscape/inkscape.git" instead.. in which case
> they will probably run into issues later on when they want to commit
>
> Could someone please fix this, either way? I'm unsure which option
> would be preferred, and I don't have editing rights on the website anyway.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Diederik

Personally I've stopped to set up any SSH keys - both for pulling as
well as for committing.

I exlusively use HTTPS, which I personally think is a lot easier than to
use SSH (especially for OSs where creating an SSH key is not trivial
without additional tools) and would also be my sole recommendation.

I tried once to find out if there is any advantage to SSH over HTTPS and
it turned out there is none - performance is the same, and security
concerns are usually negligible (unless a very weak password is used,
but then the whole GitLab account is at risk anyway).

Cheers
Patrick