I wanted to follow up here with some additional information that Dana provided:

First, it's now been identified that the problem in installing
Inline::CPP was due to the fact that the system's g++ compiler had
been upgraded to a newer version than the compiler used to build Perl.
 This is really good to know; now I can include a test in the test
suite that gives users a heads up if they're trying to install
Inline::CPP and running into difficulty.  We can compare
$Config{gccversion} with 'g++ -v', and if they differ, complain loudly
so that potential users will know what they need to do to get a
successful installation.  I have a feeling that when I release a new
developer's release we'll find out by the new test's diagnostics that
those recent Linux failures are due to this issue.  So I'm really
grateful to Dana for uncovering it.

Next: Dana identified that Inline will not install on Perl version
5.8.0 or earlier.  5.8.1 is ok.  The reason is because Digest::MD5 (a
dependency of Inline, I believe) has an XS component that uses a
feature that wasn't implemented until 5.8.1.  There is a bug report in
the RT for Digest::MD5, as well as two recommended patches.  But the
reports are fairly old, so I'm not sure if the author intends to fix
them.  If you look at the smoke test matrix for Digest::MD5 you will
find that starting with the most recent version, no Perl older than
5.8.1 has met with success.

In the next day or so I'll send the author an email and see if I can
get his attention.

The bad news is that if it doesn't get fixed, it will be necessary to
document that the minimum Perl version supported by Inline, Inline::C,
and Inline::CPP is now 5.8.1.  Previously Inline::CPP supported 5.6.0.
 Hopefully we can get this fixed, and then put into our Makefile.PL's
a minimum version number for Digest::MD5 that overcomes the issue.

Dave

--

David Oswald
daosw...@gmail.com