----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed J via RT" <bug-inl...@rt.cpan.org>

FYI, the code to show the correct operation of BUILD_NOISY can be one-linered like so:

perl -MInline=C,Config,BUILD_NOISY,1,FORCE_BUILD,1 -e "use Inline C => q[void inline_warner() { int *x = 2; }]"

Yes, for a test I'm thinking just have the test script run something like that as a system command with output redirected to a file - and then check that file (to an extent that allows us to be confident that BUILD_NOISY is behaving as expected).

My reading of the patch in question is that it turns off BUILD_NOISY when it's Windows and the shell is cmd.

That's about the extent of it. But I'm damned if I can think of any reason that ought to be done.

If BUILD_NOISY does the right thing with Win32 and CMD, let's undo that change?

BUILD_NOISY has always done the right thing for me on Win32 in the cmd.exe shell - that is, until 0.55 ;-)
So yes - we definitely need to revert to pre-0.55 behaviour.

(This Windows laptop I'm using while I'm not at home doesn't have a git client, and I can't be bothered installing one on it. I'll be back home tomorrow night and will attend to this BUILD_NOISY issue then, if no-one else has.)

Cheers,
Rob