Tim,

The last rev of the IPv6 node requirements document states that IPsec
is no longer required but only recommended for IPv6:

>From http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-08

   Previously, IPv6 mandated implementation of IPsec and recommended the
   key management approach of IKE.  This document updates that
   recommendation by making support of the IP Security Architecture [RFC
   4301] a SHOULD for all IPv6 nodes.

--julien