De : int-area-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:int-area-boun...@ietf.org] De la part de
SM
Envoyé : jeudi 8 septembre 2011 20:48
À : Francis Dupont
Cc : int-area@ietf.org
Objet : Re: [Int-area] IPv4 address sharing abuse [was RE:
draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis]

Hi Francis,
At 10:29 08-09-2011, Francis Dupont wrote:
>Perhaps I repeat myself but as far as I know solutions to the
>draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis problem are illegal
>at some places, in particular in European Union (and at a level
>which overrules national texts)...
>IMHO this issue should be clarified before adopting any document
>as a WG item.

Are you saying that what draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis
argues for cannot be implemented in the European Union?

Med: Just a clarification,  draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis does
not argue in favor of mandating the use of a HOST_ID  or not. It only documents
encountered issues, proposed solutions and their limitations. Doing so would
(hopefully) help IETF making a recommendation on the next steps in this area.
Examples of next steps may include:

(1) Recommend a solution?:  but individual solutions need to discuss potential
impact on performance, mis-usage of the solution to reveal other "sensitive"
information, etc.

(2) Add a conclusion to say: "IETF has documented the issues (RFC6269) and has
analyzed solution candidates but IETF believes CGN should stay evil"?: The risk
is the emergence of proprietary solutions.

(3) Add a statement like "IPv6 will solve this?": but this does not mitigate
the service brokenness to be encountered by subscribers when address sharing
will be deployed at large. The issues are also valid for NAT64, etc.