With the changes to this draft in the -02 version, I'm having a little trouble
seeing its purpose. It basically now seems like a shell for the recommendation
in 3.3, with the analysis stuffed into appendices. But given that there is no
stable proposal for the actual TCP option to be implemented, what is the
purpose for advancing this document right now? I think I've heard that folks
"needed to know what to implement," but does this document really resolve that
problem given that even within the space of TCP-option-based solutions for
this, there are multiple different proposals, none of which has been
standardized? This document made more sense when it was just a comparison of
the different potential solutions spaces.

Some other comments:

Section 2 claims that for all solutions analyzed, the draft explains what the
HOST_ID is. I don't think this is true for the TCP option solution for the
application header solution. Even the specific solution proposals for both of
those (draft-wing-nat-reveal-option or draft-ietf-appsawg-http-forwarded) are
not specific about the limits to which IDs can be inserted.

Section 3.1: Is this really specifying requirements for all solutions? Is that
sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy for a document that already has a solution
chosen?

Given that the Forwarded header is being standardized, it seems like references
to XFF should be reduced to places where existing deployments are being
discussed (as opposed to encouraging the use of XFF, e.g., in A.8.1, "service
providers...can enable the feature of injecting the XFF header").

As a general matter I think it would be helpful for this document to be
reviewed by some appsarea folks and/or the authors of
draft-ietf-appsawg-http-forwarded. It seems like A.8.1 and A.8.2 contradict
each other about whether header information is preserved through multiple
address sharing functions. Also, if XFF is in such widespread use, the question
of what to do when the TCP option and the XFF header conflict seems like
something that needs to be resolved.

It seems odd to reference "earlier versions" of draft-wing-nat-reveal-option in
A.5.2 rather than just explaining why this option is limited to SYN. This seems
like an artifact of the oddness of having a whole document just to recommend an
as-yet-unspecified solution.

Cheers,
Alissa