On 6/16/2016 11:41 PM, Xuxiaohu wrote:
>> More than that, GUE was accepted as a WG doc *and* has already been
>> assigned a port number.
> Oh, a WG doc? a doc which has nothing to do with multi-tenancy but happens to
> be adopted by a WG working on multi-tenancy?
I'm not advocating where this doc *should be* - or should have been -
adopted. I'm simply noting that it already has been adopted. Which does
carry weight in the IANA assignment of ports (as noted in RFC 6335).

>>> To save a port number, the header format is made ugly. Is it worthwhile? If
>> UDP port resource was so sparse as you had imagined, I think the UDP port
>> resource keeper would not allocate two different port numbers for VXLAN and
>> VXLAN-GPE since the P-bit in VXLAN-GPE header is enough to distinguish
>> VXLAN-GPE from VXLAN. For more details, please look at section 3.2 of
>> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nvo3-vxlan-gpe-02#page-6).
>> VXLAN was assigned in 2011.
>>
>> VXLAN-GPE was assigned this year (2016).
>>
>> If what you say is correct*, then you might be correct in assuming that a
>> VXLAN-GPE assignment might inhibit a later VXLAN assignment, but that's not
>> the order things happened.
> Your logic seems confused to me. My point is VXLAN-GPE should share the same
> port number (i.e., 4789) with VXLAN if the port number resource was so
> sparse. Unless that assumption is fake.

Your logic fails to consider that these two requests were not made at
the same time. Also, VXLAN was not made *after* VXLAN-GPE. If either of
these were true, then the argument for a single port number would be
important.

So, in brief, IMO (with my ports hat off) if you had a stronger argument
for UDP-in-IP (i.e., you convinced a WG to adopt it) *and* you proposed
it before GUE made its request, then things might have turned out
differently.

Joe