Amelia,

I have read this draft now and, once again, it seems there has been no
consideration of the implications for law enforcement of these recommendations.
A further example of the "privacy is good, more privacy is better" philosophy.

I also reviewed RFC6973 and the exact same problem is present there. The
privacy threats highlighted in RFC6973 are reasonable from a privacy advocate’s
perspective and worthy of consideration, and the mitigants listed also make
sense in the context of the listed threats. However, to intimate that the
representations of RFC6973 are the only possible perspective, or in some
objective sense the “right” perspective, or indeed in any way a complete
perspective, misses out important societal issues such as those that are being
discussed in this thread.

The considerations that appear to be foremost in RFC6973 are the issues
relating to the collection and use of personal data for commercial purposes and
the impact of data breaches - the crime attribution characteristics are hardly
considered at all. Only surveillance is mentioned and this category, crime
attribution per se is not considered at all. It is also sort of implied that
surveillance is always a bad thing (it is, after all, listed in the privacy
threats section with no consideration of if, or why, there might be a
legitimate use for surveillance, subject to appropriate legal safeguards of
course) - another point that should be debated and not automatically accepted.

The only trade-offs that are suggested for consideration are (ref. section 4.a)
 "privacy and usability, privacy and efficiency, privacy and implementability,
or privacy and other design goals”. What about, for example, privacy and
potential for misuse, privacy and potential for concealing criminal activity,
etc. etc.?

Coming back to the Internet Draft for a moment, there are other points that I
could raise but I only want to draw out one rather glaring misrepresentation
for now:

"Earlier recommendations contained in [RFC6302] relied heavily on observations
made in Section 12 of [RFC6269] that regulatory requirements could imply a
broad obligation to log identifiers.”

RFC6302 has nothing to do with regulatory requirements to log anything. RFC6302
relates to recommendations that Internet-facing servers log source port
information alongside IP address. The overwhelming majority of Internet-facing
servers are subject to no form of regulation at all. The fact that RFC6269
highlights a regulatory requirement to maintain subscriber identity, and the
subsequent striking down of the data retention directive, is immaterial to the
substance of RFC6302 and RFC6302 does not rely on it in any way. Attempting to
throw out the existing recommendations in RFC6302 because of the ECJ ruling on
data retention directive is disingenuous.

daveor