On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 2:18 PM Dino Farinacci <farina...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's my single feature request the network layer should provide:
>
> (1) I want to be connected ALL THE TIME, I want my computer to use all its
> links, either cabled or radio, ALL THE TIME.
>
> (2) I do not want to turn on and off wifi to get my device/computer to
> connect when it is currently not connected. The network layer should do all
> this for me.
>
> (3) I want it easy for people to find me (my IP address), so I don't want
> multiple addresses from the user level. I want one device ID, EID, host
> address, whatever you want to call it. I want you to "ping <dino's-computer>".

Dino,

I don't want everyone to "ping <tom's-computer>" :-)

Not everyone wants to be easy to find, in fact for privacy it's really
just the opposite. Instead of have one host address, I'd rather have
millions of addresses assigned to my device so that for each
connection I can use different source address and a third party seeing
my packets going to two different destinations couldn't correlate that
they are from the same source and much less that they are from the
same individual. This is fixable with IPv6 with it's immense address
space, but it is going to require breaking the concept that an address
conveys both identity and location of a user.

Tom