> Dino,

Hey Tom. I should make it clear that I am replying to email in the context of
"user requirements", that means end user requirements. Hence my comment about
1400.

> Definitely at least for a limited domain. For instance, AFAIK Google
> is using 9K MTUs in their internal networks. Whether the benefits of a

I am well aware of this but this is server to server and isn't related to
end-user requirements. And note, internal networks don't have an MTU problem
because they can force 9K MTUs.

> larger MTU scales to the whole Internet is probably still an open

Right.

> question, however QUIC seems to require at least an MTU of 1280 bytes

I have tested QUIC over LISP and when interface MTUs are 1400, you can send
1280-byte packets over IPv4 (1280+8+8+20)=1316 and over IPv6 (1280+8+8+40)=1336
which keeps the packets <= 1400. So any protocol above IP could send more than
1280 (120 bytes more to reach 1400-byte MTUs) with plenty of room for tunnels
(even nested tunnels to 2 levels).

> so there are some attempts to enforce a baseline MTU for the Internet
> greater than the specified minimums (at least greater than 64 bytes or
> 576 bytes for IPv4 MTU minimums.

Yes, and I vote for 1400. Just because I have tested it in many cases over many
years on a LISP overlay. In cases for data center MTU, I would suggest 8900
(9000-100) and be consistent saying we save 100 bytes of packet head-room for
overlays.

> Tom

Thanks,
Dino