Joe, I am missing something in your wish.
Ethernet, when it defines new heders, also revises the definition of the actual frame format on the wire. The IETF does not own the frame format on the wire. We do not own the link MTU.

Unless we want to reinvent X.25 with linkwise fragmentation and reassembly at each step, and all the problems that implies, I do not see how the IETF could get out of dealing with link MTU variation. (Doing this on a tunnel basis is one of the features I think Fred Templin is arguing for.)

Yours,
Joel