Something like this is long needed and will become badly needed. Every 10X of
speed increase since 10mbit/sec has gone straight to PPS, whereas the speed
increase from 3mbit/sec to 10mbit/sec was shared between PPS and MTU.

If every 10X has been shared between PPS and MTU, say sqrt(10) for each, our
MTU would be well over 64K by now and our PPS wouldn't require dedicated NPU
hardware to source, sink, and ferry those packets at link saturation levels.

Every attempt at PMTUD so far has failed but that's not an excuse to stop
trying.

Thanks for driving this Fred.

p vixie

On Sep 24, 2024 14:39, "Templin (US), Fred L"