On 2011/08/10 19:58 (GMT+0200) Oliver Seitz composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

 On 2011/08/10 14:15 (GMT+0200) Oliver Seitz composed:

 Configuration of software is not done through conf files anymore, it is
 done using hardware. If autodetection gives values you do not want, you
 have to alter the hardware.

 I can't imagine people trying to configure multihead without .conf
 files. How's that supposed to work?

I've been exaggerating a bit, I must confess... But, to keep things
straight, I really did multihead setup using xrandr in a startup script.

You think mere mortals are going to find startup scripts, not to mention xrandr, easier to figure out than config files? Plus, in my experience, there are far too many different script file names and locations among various distros than X config files and locations. Not to say .config file setup is easy, because it's not, but to me they're the lesser evil.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/