On Monday 12 January 2015 09:09:08 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
[snip]
> If you only look at the stable releases of Debian thats indeed how it would
> look like. Its a little different if you look at the 'rolling release'
> stream (the unstable line). You can see new Qt versions trickle in there
> without all kde packages following up the next days. It does happen
> sometimes though if a new KDE release is closely following a new Qt
> version. Its also visible in dependencies of packages using Qt, they are
> not tightened up but generally >= x.y. So if a new qt version lands users
> can install that without all those qt-using packages 'breaking' (and hence
> enforcing to keep the old version until they are rebuilt).

Correct except for the packages that use Qt's private headers (please, don't
do that except you are writing code for Qt itself) and between the different
submodules of Qt5, as we need to ensure that qtsvg 5.x.y is always used with
qtbase 5.x.y.

But for the most use cases, yes, Andreas' explanation is just right.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/