> Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 at 6:54 PM
> From: eric.fedosej...@gmail.com
> To: interest@qt-project.org
> Subject: [Interest] FW:  The willy-nilly deletion of convenience, methods
> (was: Mixing Commercial and Open...)
>
> Thank you for your informative reply Roland. I am curious whether any
> companies that you know of have considered switching to a cross-platform
> windowing library like SDL plus a lean immediate mode GUI (e.g. Dear ImGUI,
> Nuklear, Nanogui, or whatever else is current)? I really like the idea of
> doing this, since it eliminates all external dependencies, doesn't require
> any non-permissive licenses, and should work mostly unchanged until the end
> of time, as long as native GPU contexts are available.
>
> I dabble in open-source desktop bioinformatics software. I'm currently using
> Qt5.15, but I can't see myself ever moving to Qt6 given the license situation
> and loss of Qt3D binaries. It was bad enough in Qt5 with the moribund desktop
> widgets and half-finished Qt3D. No interest in adopting a vendor-locked
> scripting language like QML, and I don’t want to use anything bloated or
> mobile-centric.
>
> I guess I'll have to switch to something else over the next year or two once
> Qt5.15 starts to break with the loss of non-commercial LTS. I am trying to
> decide between switching to CopperSpice or SDL + ImGUI. The latter would be
> handy, since I can take a gradual approach, slowly moving functionality over
> to embedded SDL + ImGUI widgets in my existing Qt GUI until no more Qt is
> left. My main concern with doing so is that it will be a PITA to rebuild a
> large GUI with an immediate mode approach. I'll basically be building my own
> crappy retained-mode containers around ImGUI. It's too bad that there is no
> existing project that I'm aware of to create standard retained-mode wrappers
> around ImGUI etc.

I'm not so worried about QML being vendor specific. It should only be a binding
language.

At my new place, our product is on LVGL, a MIT licensed library. It's C, but
there are C++ and Python bindings as well. It is every bit as verbose as you
imagine C code would be, :-( but it runs on anything down to PIC/Arduino.

It's amazing all the competition Qt is _enabling_ rather than capturing... And
it's all because of license issues.