WF>> I don't see what is so special about hinted parameters that they have to
WF>> bail out the engine, while the built-in (and extension) functions will
WF>> happily return NULL and continue execution.

The functions that are built-in have defined behaviour of returning NULL
in case of error (if they do not and they still return NULL as error - that's
a serious bug). However, this is not true for each and every function out
there.

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/ +972-3-6139665 ext.109