I refer you to the jargon file, which is about as good a definition that
you can get:

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/b/beta.html

"Mostly working, but still under test; usu. used with `in': `in beta'.
In the Real World, systems (hardware or software) software often go
through two stages of release testing: Alpha (in-house) and Beta
(out-house?). Beta releases are generally made to a group of lucky (or
unlucky) trusted customers. 2. Anything that is new and experimental.
"His girlfriend is in beta" means that he is still testing for
compatibility and reserving judgment. 3. Flaky; dubious; suspect (since
beta software is notoriously buggy)."

This is the definition of a beta.  Now, PHP 5 Beta 1 certainly falls
well within these parameters.  How far you subclassify depends on the
project.  MySQL betas are often recommended in production environments.
PHP Betas are a bit looser about new features and signifigant changes.
We aren't violating the definition of a beta, we are just defining our
parameters for beta software.  "Alpha," "Beta" and "Release" are
classifications, and are left to the project to further define.

PHP 5 is almost there, and prematurely imposing rules on ourselves
because we now labeled a "beta" seems like an unwise choice.  The
majority of the changes marcus is talking about are not far reaching,
and are really about polishing off the object model.  Perfectly
acceptable discussion for a beta cycle.

-Sterling

--
"Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to
 build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying