On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 15:50, Jeremy S. Johnstone wrote:
> After seeing the conversation on the PHP archive idea (having a PHP
> equivalent of a jar file), it reminded me of an idea I had a long time
> ago. Has anyone ever thought of writing a PHP compiler which would
> compile a PHP script into native machine code?

Not to discourage you or anything, but I doubt that would be a very good
idea.  Because of the nature of PHP (being loosely typed and highly
dynamic), I think you would be disappointed with the speed result -- it
wouldn't be very much faster than the current PHP interpreter.

But then again, for distributing binary-only applications it would
perhaps be a good idea.
--
Best regards,

Per Lundberg / Capio ApS