At 16:53 16/08/2003, Robert Cummings wrote:
So it seems to me that a null value does not define the non-existence of
a value, but is itself actually a value. And this as far as I am
concerned is quite valid.

Ok, but it still doesn't change the fact that null is not a value :) The fact we couldn't make the implementation perfect doesn't change that in any way.
I mentioned ways to implement the desired behavior, others also mentioned other ways - but there's no way I'd support adding functionality that will encourage inconsistency in the language.

Zeev