Robert Cummings wrote:

> Understandably PHP is slower than say C :) Generally I don't think there
> is need for everything to be a native function, however, that said, when
> the speed gain and utility are great in comparison to doing it as pure
> PHP then I think the option should be investigated.

I think that's what's happening.

> The current isset() function fails many developers from what I can see

Well, from what _I_ can see, a couple of developers are inconvenienced,
nothing more.

It was pointed out earlier that setting a variable to NULL has very
little value, and after 6 years and a couple million lines of PHP I
still haven't done it. I don't see the need for implementing this in
userland, let alone in the core.

The proposed function for all intents and purposes will _appear_ to
be exactly the same is isset, but provide different behaviour. IMHO,
that's a _huge_ inconsistency that ends the investigation.

Of course, if this functionality is so critical to your applications
there's no reason why you can't implement and maintain it in your own
PHP install, and even make the patch available to others.  :)

[Insert random string extolling virtues of Open Source here]

Regards
Mike Robinson