John Coggeshall wrote:

To be honest, I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. Basically, the engine is done. I think the XML extensions and SQLite are pretty mature,

I know Shane was working on some major improvements to simplexml that I
don't know if he's finished yet. Sterling didn't seem to have any
interest in really finishing the code he did write from our
conversations.

Err, I thought Sterling did those fixes at or around php{con, or at least he said he would, I may be confused.

What I suggest is the following. An immediate feature freeze and try and get the RC out of the door. If it takes 2 months and not 2 weeks that's fine with me, but I'd like it to converge. I'd like people who have outstanding issues/bugs they need to fix, to go ahead and fix them. Same goes for critical engine problems (aka me).

Reasons not to RC yet:

1) The changes between B1 -> B2 were very substaincial
2) B2 has only been out for around 10 days

Well, I feel these 2 items are a good reason to wait a little longer for an rc. But I also agree with Andi that the tree seems pretty stable, especially over the past couple months.

3) There are a lot of valuable PHP 5-focused extensions that a lot of
people expect to see in PHP 5 (anyone who has been attending this year's
conferences knows this), that people *are* working on -- they just
aren't finalized yet.

Considering there was absolutely no warning about an RC or feature
freeze, I suggest an alternative -- Set a firm date for a B3 release
(end of year), allow people who are actually working on PHP 5 related
ext stuff to get their code committed and finalized, and then release B3
in the wild for a month. If it all floats then roll the RC.

John

As far as when, I don't know, but I think that planning a specific date for a B3 is a good idea. It lets the developer community know 'if you dont get it in by this time, then that's it for the actual release'. B3 gets released, feature freeze happens, give some time to get feedback, then push out an RC.

To me, B2 is really B1, B1 was really an alpha as far as it's quality went.

Shane