From: Steph

> nb that meant downgrading both libxml2 and iconv here..

I dont think going with the 2.6.x branch for libxml is a good idea yet.
Would like it to be out a while longer before using it for releases. It has
some major changes in it as well as a bunch of new features so probably
better to stick with 2.5.11 or 10 as they are stable.

As far as iconv, I was just using the 1.8 as that is what the current
release builds ship with.  Unless you have a specific reason for a newer
version, I'll leave it up to Edin to decide what version to use as he is
going to need to maintain the different environments for the 4_3 and 5
builds since the libxml/libxslt libs wont be compatible for both of them.

Edin, do you have any comments on this, as if we are going to go this route
with static linking and re-exporting the symbols (as it seems the iconv
piece is working), I would like to commit the changes soon, but doing so is
going to screw up your builds until you have your environment set. Also, is
there a place the libs can be placed once version issues are hashed out as I
dont know about my bandwidth. They are currently sitting on a hosted site so
my allocation is limited.

Rob